MSU Bikes Rental Agreement
MSU Bikes offers select Jamis, Fuji and SE bikes for rent to the MSU community (faculty, staff, students and alumni) and visitors to campus. Rental includes general maintenance* and a lock is provided. While we strongly recommend the use of a helmet for your safety they are not required by campus ordinances or state law; a limited number of loaner helmets are available and new inexpensive helmets are available for sale as well. Additional accessories can be purchased if so desired (installation available generally for no cost but some accessories, like fenders and baskets, do require installation costs and some time; those accessories are yours but removing them will also be your responsibility at the end of the rental period).
While this online rental system does allow for you to submit all your necessary rental information and pay for the rental in advance, and while we will do our best to set aside a bike similar to your requested bike in type and size but we cannot guarantee that you’ll get a specific bike in a specific size as we are a busy bike shop renting bikes to walk-in customers Monday – Friday and have limited availability.
All walk-in customers will be accommodated on a first-come, first served basis. Customers must be present with their credit card to receive a deposit refund. No rentals or returns can be performed after-hours or on weekends. While we do have a key-box next to our door for returning after hours we cannot refund deposits over the phone.
Sorry, MSU Bikes does not offer insurance for our bike rentals. Please check with your home owners or renter’s insurance company to see if they might cover it in your policy.
A refundable deposit of $200 will be charged upon signing the lease agreement. The deposit can be paid in cash in the shop but will only be refunded to a valid credit/ debit card.
Excessive damage (from crashing, etc) or loss of the bike (or parts of the bike) will result in a partial or complete loss of the deposit.
The bike must be returned to us during our open shop hours or prior arrangements made with staff for after-hours drop off for the deposit to be refunded. We do not have spare keys, so if all issued keys are lost the lock will need to be cut by MSU Parking and the cost of a new lock will be deducted from the deposit.
We are open Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm.
* Basic maintenance and general wear and tear items (tires, tubes, brake pads) are included during the lease period. Repairs for damage due to accidents or neglect are not included and will be charged at our normal service rates. Missing or stolen parts will result in partial loss of the deposit. Stolen bikes or those not returned will result in the complete loss of the deposit.
Department Fleet Services
Running cross-campus errands or entertaining visitors? Save the hassle of traffic, offer a healthy alternative for your staff breaks/ on-campus transportation and avoid problems finding car parking by adding a bike to your department transportation fleet.
*Sorry, these departmental services are only available in store, not online.
- Fastest way to get around campus
- Convenient, free parking
- Inexpensive at approximately 70¢ per day
- Encourage green transportation and support MSU’s sustainability goals!
Bike Sales Summary
- Various models available from Jamis Bikes, Fuji and/or SE. We can also special order other bikes that Jamis makes for departmental purchase.
Lease Program Summary
- New or used bikes from Jamis, Fuji and SE
- All-inclusive cost of $200 per year (per bike)
- Lock, permit and general wear and tear maintenance included
- Customizable to departmental or individual needs (baskets, fenders, lights, etc.)*
- Secure, dry bike storage is available to the campus community at two convenient locations on campus. See this page for more information on this service or go directly here to sign up.
- Renewable annually
- No deposit required**
* The cost and labor to install accessories are not included in the rental fee.
** Damage or loss of the bike may incur a charge to the department's account up to $200.
***Though helmets are not required by the state of Michigan, we do recommend them and provide them free of charge upon request for any renter. MSU Bikes is not liable for incidents incurred by our renters during use on our rentals.